Monday, July 31, 2006

Some photos, as promised.

Pat and I relaxing in the capsule hotel:Capsule alley:
Inside my capsule:

I don't know where to begin now. Quite a bit has happened since my last post. I had the opportunity to help Pat teach one of his classes, and realized that I do in fact want to be a teacher. It was a joy, especially when I went to go help out the younger children who were a little behind. They were so shy, but I finally got them to fully repeat the english sheet we had given. It was a nice sense of accomplishment. Here is the class:
After that, I went to the local bar Paper Moon and met some of Pat's friends. They had some good spaghetti and whiskey there.

The next day Pat, a fellow JET named Morgan, 2 girls named Miyuki and Teiko and I set out to go see Geibikei, a large gorge. The scenery along the way was so beautiful. Rice fields are a lush green that give a stark contrast to the sky. I don't think I can properly capture that in photo though, but I tried.

Anyhow, we got in this large boat, reminiscent of a gondola, pushed by this driver here:


To get an idea of how deeply chiselled this gorge is, in the centre of the photograph below is one of the "gondola"s. On the way back, the driver would sing an enka song written about Geibikei as you sat and enjoyed the scenery (or as I did, sweat buckets).
We arrived at the furthest point allowable for the boats to go, and walked along to an area where you would buy charms and throw them into a small hole for good luck. I got pretty close, but didn't make it.
The pathway:


Pat and I posing in front of the sign that has the character for lion (on Pat's left) just because we're leos. Go superstition!
After visiting Geibikei, we travelled along to Yuugendou, a limestone cave. It was used at one point by Japanese Christians when they were prosecuted in the 1600s or something close to that. Either way, it was really fun to go and explore, as there was one other couple in the whole of the caves.
Here I am, posing:

A 2 second exposure I did that looks nice small, but actually sucks at normal size:
The gang:
The awesomely old toilets:

After visiting Yuugendou we walked a short distance to see an area dedicated to those japanese christians who were killed. Here are little statues with supposedly hidden crosses contained in each carving:


For my grandma: Hydrangea are native to this area and create pretty bushes that compliment the statues etc. nicely.
We found that this area was actually closed as there was no one at the ticket booth, and no cars around. We decided to explore into the cave anyways and came out to a pathway that was blocked off. It seems there had been a landslide at least 2 years ago, so our trek up the side of the mountain was perilous with stairs completely destroyed and guardrails uprooted:

We were half expecting to find a decomposing body. Instead we found a lookout point where we took a photo of the 3 of us. We couldn't go all the way up (where there MUST be an abandoned shrine) because the 2 girls were waiting at the bottom. Climbing with high heels probably wasn't on their list of things to do.




And so ended my day. Now I plan on exploring a shrine nearby on my own, as Patrick has gone to his work until 4pm.

12 comments:

Chris WJ Charlton said...

Thanks anonymous! Now I can get all the World of Warcraft gold I want!

YAY!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Glad that you arrived safe and sound. The photos of the gorge are beautiful,and I agree with you that the hydrangeas do compliment the statues. I think that I would feel claustrophobic in one of those capsules. Keep safe and have fun.
Love, Grandma Pat

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, you need to turn on anti-spam password confirmation - you know, "enter the letters you see in the box".

The Morg is not technically a JET, really - he's got a private contract through an employment agency. I think.

To the top of the mountain eventually!

Anonymous said...

Heyy
glad to see you doing well in Iwate with Pat! I cant wait to hear all the stories from you when you visit me in fukuoka.
While you are having fun, Im busy studying! 泣。You better take LOTS of pictures~~
Hope you have a safe trip all the way from Iwate.
Suki!
Fumi

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! I'm looking forward to more of them :D

TSquared said...

Where are the sexy photos?! I want some naked people damn it! Even if that means for you to take photos of yourself.

Anonymous said...

hey chris, its wael here. saw this blog address on ur msn name and thought i'd check it out, keep the pictures coming man. i was honestly a little shocked when i saw pictures of those capsule hotels, i thought they only existed in the Fifth Element!! i know i sure couldnt sleep comfortably in those. anyway man i hope ur enjoying ur trip, let me know when ur back in markham, we definitely need to hang out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chrissy! Thanks for the awesome photos. I agree with Chris Chiens comments!
Sounds like you're having a great time.
VERY HOT here. 35C (45C humidex)
Kuma continues to terrorize us and bite our ankles.
Cousin Craig and Lindsay got married on Sat in Ottawa. A great party! The family says Hi
Love Mum and Dad xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hey there...it's your techno dad here.
Your trip looks fantastic and I love the online journal. Hope you keep it up and save it, archive or burn to disc . Memories of travel are great when you get old like me. You can sit at home and look at the pics and say " Did I really go there?" (Alzheimers)
LOVE DAD

Anonymous said...

Chris successfully boarded the shinkansen at 6:46 this morning and will be arriving in Hakata at 4:46 PM! Aside from a few mosquito bites, everything here went just fine! Chris, updates please eh. :p

Anonymous said...

OK..you were off to a great start with the journal and photos...then kapoot,nothing, zero.
Like the Harry Potter series, you have your fans waiting for the next issue.
Let's see some more "Adventures of Charles".
Love from your Biggest Fans,:D
Mom and Dad
XOXO
When do you register for your History course(s)? (nagging from around the world)

Anonymous said...

Dude, we need to see some pics of you and fumi hanging out in Fukuoka!