Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Killer Typhoon!

Today I have a story of pictures for you, my dear reader. Accompanying the following pictures are witty captions to help you along the way. Let us begin!

This is just a piece of scenery to give an idea of what I am surrounded by when staying at the Sakata's house: Mountains, clouds and greenhouses. Quite a beautiful place to live, I have to say.

Except for the snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes!?

So there was supposed to be a typhoon hitting the village today, but it skipped over us. Just a little wind and hardly any rain. I put this photo up as a substitute; a torrential downpour (that happened 3 days ago). I was hoping to see my first Typhoon, but I guess I'll have to wait for another chance to risk my life. On that same topic, there has been one casualty so far. An 11 year old child drowned while playing with his ball. While sad, I have to wonder if he should be up for a Darwin award or not. Though I suppose the parents would be deserving of it, not the poor kid.

Here is Fumi at one of many restaurants visited. This particular location serves Okinawan food. It's quite good.

The beer isn't so good. But it makes for a nice photograph.

This is one of the more interesting plates of food I had at said restaurant. Very tasty, but Fumi was right when she said it looks like deep fried... hair from the nether regions.

This photo is just for Marc: I got to go to the arcade he (supposedly) frequented every day when staying in Fukuoka.

Here is Fumi. She is cute. End of story?

This is the entrance to the Daibutsu located two stops away from Fumi's house. She and I decided to tour the place completely. Within it were interesting statues and a very long trek.

This photo is for Pat. It's a statue of what looks to be an emperor or warlord of some sort, standing upon what I'm guessing is a foreigner. Possibly Chinese?

The guy is a masochist though, look at the little hint of pleasure he's getting. Look at that smirk! It's disgusting.

This was my favourite statuette of the many Buddhas. Very serene. Reminds me of the book I'm reading: Kim by Rudyard Kipling.

Fumi and I decided to follow a sign's suggestion of "walking to a serene location only 15 minutes uphill". I should have remembered that in Japan, a 15 minute walk is really a half hour. This applies absolutely every time you hear something like "a 5 minute walk from the station". Always multiply by at least two. Regardless, the walk through a bamboo forest was beautiful.

Here we are just embarking on that walk. And hey look! Fumi is wearing high heels! Sheesh. So... what is up at the top? What could be there? Enlightenment? Riches? All-you-can-eat chocolate Buddhas?

Nothing much actually. Just a crappy shrine.

We weren't too happy about this, but we still looked around and-

What the-

What the- Is that a Nazi symbol!? Are those monks from the shrine riding in a tank? WHAT THE HELL KIND OF BUDDHIST TEMPLE IS THIS!?
Actually, that's just the right-facing swastika and the monks... well they're supposed to be rallying in the tank for peace. I think they just think tanks are cool and wanted to ride in one.

Anyways, the Daibutsu was quite large as you can see, and very impressive. I was lucky enough to come when I was the only tourist there, unlike last time when there were people to sully my beautiful pictures.

Here I am; a new Bodhisattva.

Here's an interesting piece that pissed me off quite a bit yesterday. An enka singer dressed up in black-face. I have no comments other than that it's a shame that this can pass as entertainment.

So what have I been up to most of the time when I'm here?

Videogames. Sweet, sweet videogames.

Until next time my dear reader,
--



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Say hi to Fumi and her family for us. The scenery looks beautiful, however the food photos weren't too appealing. Was that Fumi's brother playing video games with you? The weather here has been strange. Hot and 30 with high humidity on Mon, but only 17 today. No rain! The grass is brown! Glad the typhoon didn't reach you. Everything looks so green there. We miss you lots!
Lots of love, Mum xoxo

Anonymous said...

KILL THE FURRINERS!

Gorrozolla said...

Last typhoon, we played football during the worst of it. Lesson learned: Typhoon ball is fun. Kirin beer is tops, don't drink Asahi! boycott Asahi. And I never went everyday! I only went 5 times! Love the pics, looks like you guys are having a blast! lets rock when you get back. New amp is fun!

Chris said...

I'm totally feeling that masochistic Chinaman!

Fumi's reaction pictures are always the best... more please!

I'm jealous of you going into that bamboo forest. It looks like a "beaut" for sure.

As always, keep fit and have fun!

Chien

Anonymous said...

I see you are enjoying your new muscle shirt & DS...:D

Anonymous said...

hi CHRIS
MUST BE REALLROLLING ALONG ..
Did you get the pic I sent you via
regular e-mail?
I doubt this will go ..too complicated for me .
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE DO-NUT .

Have a better flight back ...GRAMPS